Monday, October 12, 2009

Little Gifts


I know that when my mother died, I received a gift. I got to be there during her last days, sitting with her in that lonely hospital room with my siblings, taking turns feeding her until she passed. That was a gift. I got to talk to her and say my goodbyes. I got to hold her hand. I got to bathe her forehead and feed her ice chips.

With my daughter, I got to do none of that.

Instead, she died alone in the home of someone I didn't know. The woman never came forward and offered to talk to us or anything. She wanted to fade into the background, I think, but I would have loved to talk to her. It was someone she knew from AA, so I guess anonymity might have been a factor, but still. Wouldn't you have reached out to the family of someone who died in your home? I would have. It would have been a gift to me to talk with them.

When my girl died, she was alone. I didn't get that chance to be at her side, holding her hand. Her body lay there for at least 12 hours with no one home and no one knowing what had happened. That thought haunts me on days like today. No one should have to die that way, though plenty of people do. That my daughter died that way will always torment me. I talked to her on Monday. Her brother talked to her on Wednesday. She wasn't feeling well when he spoke to her. She canceled plans to go out and shoot pool with him, their Wednesday night thing. She was afraid he was mad at her, but he wasn't. He was disappointed, because he'd been looking forward to it all week. None of us ever got to speak to her again.

On Thursday afternoon, a wave of fatigue hit me like nothing I've ever felt. I set my Away status on my work computer and fell into bed for a nap. I couldn't keep my eyes open. While sleeping, I dreamed of her. She was lying in a hospital bed - as she had so many times before - and she had all kinds of tubes and wires running to and from her body. She was wearing a pale blue hospital gown with dark blue diamonds on it. She had a peaceful look on her face and was just gazing at me. I was shouting, "What's wrong? What has happened to you now?"

You see she was always sick, and sometimes we think she made herself sick. Some of her doctors thought so, too, but no one could ever say for sure. It was hell on us all.

When I woke up, I was shaken. I thought, "Okay, she's sick. She's in the hospital again. I'll hear from her soon."

The next day at noon, the doorbell rang and it was the police, telling us she had been found dead around 4:30 that morning. They said she had been dead "at least" 12 hours. I probably could have pinpointed it more accurately for them - around 1:30 p.m. on Thursday. She was a Thursday's child. She came into this world on a Thursday and left it on a Thursday. Thursday's child has far to go.... but my daughter didn't get far. She got as far as age 25. I'll never get to see her marry or have children or get gray or start a career or any of those things. All those milestones are left idle. All those little gifts a mother looks forward to? I won't get those.

I have no idea what she was wearing when she died. Probably pajamas, as she was in bed. But when we had to go to the funeral home to view and identify her body after the autopsy, she was respectfully laid out in a simple casket. When I stepped into the chapel and saw that it was really her, that porcelain face and dark hair, looking for all the world like Snow White, a moan escaped me like nothing I've ever heard come from my mouth. I had hoped against hope that there had been a terrible mistake. I walked down the aisle toward her.

Inside the casket she lay inside a cardboard box that would be used for putting her remains into the cremation chamber. They had covered it in white gossamer fabric. When I drew near to the casket, I saw that she was in a pale blue hospital gown, covered in dark blue diamonds. A white gossamer blouse was on her underneath it, covering her neck and arms. She had sent me a message that Thursday afternoon. Her last gift to me.

But I also got the gift of knowing she was going to AA and was working hard at service. There were many things I didn't get. But what I did get was the gift of having her go to church with me one time and meet my friends there. What I did get was the gift of having her AA buddies tell me that in her last meeting, she said that she was alive because God was with her. Those were all incredible gifts. But you know? I would rather have her back with me, all things considered. That would be the greatest gift. What parent who has lost a child hasn't thought that?

Today has been hard. I needed to write about it. I was making myself a bowl of chili for dinner and started crying. I'll never get to make sure my daughter eats again. I'll never do her laundry or take her car for an oil change or visit her in the hospital or any of those things I did a hundred times over. Instead, I'll miss her the rest of my life. I'll miss her face, her laugh, her beautiful hair, her smell, her wry sense of humor... I'll never get another call from her or another visit from her. I'll never laugh with her or cry with her again. I'll just cry over her, over the fact she's gone.

I don't write nearly enough anymore, because it always turns into this - sorrow. Maybe that's the point, really.

The grief support group meets again on Thursday. I'm looking forward to seeing them, and I need to take a photo of my daughter with me for the remembrance board. I'll have to find one I can part with.

In the meantime, I'll keep plugging along. Thelma has been ailing with an injured hip that the doctors can't figure out. She hasn't been able to ride her horses, which is making her (and the horses) miserable. Keep her in your prayers that she will be mended soon and that the doctors can see to it that she is. Keep us both in your prayers for the days in which we deal with more than we think we can handle.

I'll write when I can. Peace - Louise

14 comments:

  1. God Bless, honey. If you need to use this blog to grieve and write about your sorrow-you do it-I will be here. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto the comment from Heather. Use the blog as therapy.
    I am always very sad for you, to read about the tragic way your daughter died.Sorrow comes in waves, when you least expect it to. Don't ever bottle it up.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my friend...your words are very sad, your heart is heavy...your road is long and you are filed with doubts and pain...
    understandable...

    I often think of you and wonder how you are...

    your post fills me and reminds me as l sit here after strong with my daughter, she walks out and l feel wretched ...she probably does too...

    take care...
    saz x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take your favorite photo and have it scanned...or even just make a color copy. Then you won't have to give one up...and the board will reflect your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you wrote here. To share your pain. To let us know you are still out there. And, yes, as to what Heather and Maggie May said. Use this space however it fits you. The beauty of a blog is that there are no rules. Not unless you impose them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine has given you excellent advice .. its what I was going to suggest ..and I send you comforting hugs, I think writing it is a way to work through your pain ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter's last thought must have been of you - she loved you and she knew you loved her. You will see her again when the time is right. I'm so sorry you're still hurting so much. Please accept Reiki, I hope it helps and Thelma too for her hip. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my friend. I ache for you. The emptiness but all but swallow you sometimes.
    But remember - there is a resurrection. There will be a resurrection where you will see her again, without the pain, without the damage - whole and happy. Hold onto that hope. That belief.
    Prayers for you and huge hugs.
    Hope Thelma's hip improves too.

    I often think of you. Funny how I come over today. This is a wonderful gentle post with all your memories as well as your pain. You are right - you have been robbed of one gift but been given others. Hold onto the gifts you have. And write as much as you want or need, or as little.
    Peace - and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've missed you, I thought you had gone, didn't recognise you as Thelma and Louise though I have been here befor...so sorry...brain cell deteriation I'm afraid. This post is so sad, and yet, she did come to you to say goodbye, that is magical. Now you are grieving, and you should, so that you can emerge eventually, feeling ok about everything.
    Such hugs I am sending you would squeeze the breath out of you. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear friend,
    I know all to well your pain, although I have not lost a child , I lost my mom 3 years ago around this time of year. I miss her sooooooooooo much, it is still very painful for me. She was everything to me, my best friend. You will always miss your daughter, and I suppose lots of people out there are missing someone.
    Someone told me once that dying is a part of life, a part of living. I guess that is true.
    We just have to be grateful that our loved ones are not in pain, and in a much happier place where we will see them again someday.
    I'm glad to hear you are seeking help thru a support group, that's something I should probably do my self.
    Please take care of yourself, and know my prayers are with you and yours,
    may the Lord bless you and keep you near,
    Julian

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm crying reading your extremely sad but still beautiful words dear friend!!
    And I also believe so much in all he little signs that we are given when a loved one passes... as you know I received one from my Mum and my Grandmother at the time when they passed.
    May you find some kind of peace eventually and know that your Daughter will be forever with you, eternally.
    Lots of Love,
    Donnie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm only now getting to catch up with my blog feeds after being away for most of October.

    I think you should write, even though it does turn to sadness and pain - only as much as you can bear, of course, but I believe it will be therapeutic, and a way of working it all out and making some kind of sense of it.

    Peace ... remember she is at peace now, and she never knew how many hours her shell lay on the ground undiscovered. Her essence was already somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw you'd gone.
    Glad you're back.

    Hang in there honey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautifully written, Louise. My heart goes out to you...

    Your daughter did gift you with a dream in her last hour--such a miracle garment is the blue hospital gown covered with diamonds! This must mean that she has gone to a peaceful, transcendent place but that she still loves her mother very much, and she understands the depth of her mother's love too.

    I wish for you a peaceful Thanksgiving. HUG.

    ReplyDelete