Monday, December 14, 2009

Love and Fear

This is the most amazing love I could ever have imagined, this romance between Thelma and I. My heart is full and overflowing.

What I don't understand is why there are so many people in this country (and in all fairness, around the world) who would say that our love is wrong. Whereas heterosexual people, in most circumstances, take for granted their rights and protection as a couple, we must think about things like "would that person understand?", "is that place safe?", and so on. Why does the world have to be this way?

I want to hold her hand in public. I want to lean over and kiss her at dinner. I want to go to church with her.

The last one is what I miss the most. Yes, we could drive to one of the big cities (two hours in any direction), but why should we have to? Yes, we are in the buckle of the Bible belt, but we are Christians! Why shouldn't we be able to go to our church of choice, worship as "straight" people do, and get our spiritual food for the week without having to make such a trek? Thelma is out of commission right now because of the hip injury and will be going to physical therapy three times a week, so going two hours each way to church isn't even an option.

Today a family member said that homosexuality is the only thing the Bible says is an "abomination" against God. Not so. Thelma has been doing a little research and is finding quite a bit of Biblical scripture to refute that. But I'm too exhausted from work and stress to expand on that right now. Instead, I'll refer you to Soulforce.org and any of the books by Mel White (especially "Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America"). Educate yourself, though I suspect our readers don't need to be educated all that much. If you want to know more about taking on the religious wrong, as I call them, read Mel White's material. He follows the principles of Martin Luther King, Jr., and is fighting the good fight every day.

It breaks my heart when anyone calls what we have together an abomination. I love Thelma. She loves me. Our souls are enmeshed and have been since we met as kids. I want to marry her and have the same rights and recognition (and protection) as any "straight" couple. What the hell is everyone so afraid of? We are who we are, and we love who we love. We aren't hurting anyone.

But as Emerson said, “Do not waste yourself in rejection; do not bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good.”

(found this on the writers' blog for the Grey's Anatomy writers...great blog, if you like the show)

Peace - L

3 comments:

  1. Lovely Emerson quote, though I think it's more fitting for the privileged. It's the most awful thing in the world to be called an abomination and until you've experienced it, you don't understand how it feels.

    I have 'Stranger at the Gate' on my nightstand and look forward to reading it. Have you seen 'For the Bible Tells Me So' (a documentary made a few years ago)? I recommend it. Very inspirational.

    Knowing that you and Thelma are together makes my heart swell with joy. I'm sorry others don't feel as I do for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if there any United Methodist churches around you, but they have recently been advertising that they have open-hearts and open minds, and encouraging the GLBT community to come to church. Also the Episcopal church has an openly gay bishop who is from KY. So I hope you all can find a place to worship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, D! I haven't been here in a bit and was just catching up on the last few posts. You have both been through so much this past year. I'm glad you have each other to lean on; don't let anyone tell you it's wrong.

    Wishing you both a very Happy and Healthy Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete