Monday, June 29, 2009

Dark Nights, Perfect Days

(Louise)

It's amazing to me how dark it can be in the middle of the night in the country. Some nights there are trillions of stars in the sky. Some nights are inky blackness with only the slightest hint of a glow on the horizon, above the tree line.

Too much is on my mind tonight, and it woke me from a sound sleep. The STBeX and I are duking it out via email over the debts he racked up during the marriage. He is threatening to let this go to the judge, and I'm trying hard to stand my ground on what my attorney and I agreed to as to what I'd pay. I won't go into the gory details here, but let's just say that I have been willing to pay the part of the bills I helped accrue. Thanks to whatever it is he spent the money on (I really don't know), we have no real assets to split - just debt. It's a bad situation for me, but it's one in which I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, every bit as faint as that tiny glow on the horizon at this early hour. Someday I will be divorced from this man and be able to go on with my life. I know that divorces can get ugly, and I had naively hoped it wouldn't be that way with us. Unfortunately, it's always been this way - yield to what he wants or pay the price.

It's enough to give a girl an ulcer.

But the weekend was not a waste--far from it. Yesterday we got up and went to breakfast at this fabulous little local place. When we were finishing up, Thelma called some of our friends to see if they wanted to go do something fun with us. Within a couple of hours, we met up with them at the river to rent some inner tubes and float for a couple of hours down through the gentle current. Her friend's teenage boys were there with us and provided plenty of comic relief and entertainment as we went downstream. I'm sure I'll be a little pink from the sun tomorrow (despite sunscreen on my pale, pale skin), but it was so worth it. What a beautiful thing it was to be out in nature, enjoying God's bounty!

We were both achy from sitting in inner tubes for a couple of hours, though, so I made us a quiet dinner at home that we ate in bed while watching "Hotel for Dogs". It was a lovely end to a perfect day.

Thelma has asked me to teach her to write a post here, which I will be helping her with over the next couple of days (between my work deadlines and her wanting to catch up on chores we didn't do this weekend). I can't wait for you to "meet" her!

And Thelma? This video is for you, darlin'. (To the rest of you - this is our song....)

Love, Louise....

9 comments:

  1. Naw...didn't listen to the video, but I am certain it will get to them who would be touched by it.

    As for the divorce...comes a time when you just have to throw it all in the lap of the judge and go on from there. Jf you can't handle and the SbEx can't handle the equitable split of the debt then declare bankruptcy. It sounds as if you have already left most of the marital assets behind so what is there left to pursue that you want? It sounds as if you are finding everything you sought and no court can take that love and peace away from you kiddo.

    Like I said learn to speak (but let me modify) and to think Detroit,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a beautiful song. Sorry to hear about the difficulties with the divorce. I hope it gets somewhat better. Sounds like you had lot of fun with the inner tubes and the beautiful country. I can't imagine a sky full of a trillion stars. Must be breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the divorce difficulties & all the debt. Must be really worrying.
    I'm sure it can be overcome like all things.
    Who said life was easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise........you are on the road to recovery!
    Revel in that and forget about the rest.
    This too shall pass. Been there, done that, bought the shirt! :D

    Sounds like you and thelma had a great Tennessee Time this weekend!That's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame the divorce is becoming a little ugly but unfortunately most are I believe. Never mine eventually it will all be over and you can get on with the rest of your life.

    Floating on the river on an inner tube sounds like great fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome that you went tubing. :) I haven't been in YEARS!

    Sorry the divorce is going pear-shaped. I hope it's over soon and then you can completely walk away and have absolutely nothing to do with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some while back I read a book by a lady whose name I cannot recall (old age symptom :-)).

    Anyway, she wrote a few lines which I have found helpful when life's niggles and upsets occur: I say to myself FAFFLE, meaning FAFL, meaning this:

    Face it
    Accept it
    Float above it
    Let time pass

    Best wishes, Phil

    ReplyDelete
  8. We went rafting just outside of Gatlinburg a few years ago and it was so both fun and relaxing. I hope things start going smoother with the divorce (mine took a year and a half because of my ex not cooperating).

    Oh, can't wait to 'meet' Thelma!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds as if you're enjoying your new life! Sometimes you have to do crazy thinks like rubber tubing in the sun. ;)

    I agree - sometimes it's better not to try to handle things yourself, but to leave it to the experts. If your divorce goes to the judge, so be it. I've supported a friend through a so-called amicable divorce from a man who didn't know how to handle money and from her experience, it doesn't get any better. She now wishes she'd let the lawyers handle it. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete