Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The saga continues...

Well continuing on about my dad and his murderer. The 21 year old shot my dad on a Wednesday morning at 6:15. My dad had normally opened the store at 6:30, but the newpaper deliverer came earlier that day than usual to deliver the paper. So my dad decided to go ahead and leave the store door open, being that it was only 15 minutes until he opened anyway. The young jock came in and asked for a pack of cigs and began shooting until my dad hit the floor dead. The whole scene was captured on the store video, so there was no doubt who committed the crime. Now, it was a matter of catching the guy.

He left out of the store and ran away to a hiding place until Friday night. He escaped to a rural area outside of town where he stole a big rig and drove it into the ditch. Then he stole a tractor to try to pull the big rig out of the ditch when someone saw all the ruckus. Needless to say, he was caught. He is now serving life without the chance of ever seeing the outside world again. If he does try to appeal he will go straight to death row. It's very hard for me to have a forgiving spirit with this kind of trauma, but I CAN say my mother is a forgiving person as she had one of her ministers give my dad's Bible to his murderer. He didn't realize he had my dad's Bible until the trial, when the judge gave my mom a chance to speak. She told him about the man he'd murdered. That he would have given him the shirt off of his back, or helped him in any way. She told him he now owned his Bible. The young guy broke into tears and asked for forgiveness.

This was so hard for me (traumatic) as I was an only daughter and the baby of our family. I was a daddy's girl. He was the ONLY one in my immediate family who accepted me as I am. He never said a negative thing to me about my sexuality. I lost my best friend and advocate, forever! Somehow, I know he is looking down from heaven and seeing my happiness.

Back to "our" story...back in January, I had to have a hysterectomy and was incapacitated for a couple of months in recovery as I had complications with the surgery. I had bought a computer and thought it was a good time to try to discover the world of the internet. I had heard about Facebook and decided to join and reconnect with old school friends and family. I found I enjoyed the space and stayed on it quite a bit during this time. One day, on April 1st, I got a message from Louise. I racked my brain at first trying to remember her as I didn't recognize her last name. It threw me a curve. Then, oh my gosh, I remembered!

My heart pounded as I tried to type and answer her message. I told her I had remembered us being friends all those years ago and that I was glad to hear from her. Then our replies were passing instantly back and forth. We talked about old times and people. As time went on over the next day or so we became closer, more open. There was an excitement stirring in me once again. I wanted to get to know her more. Know what was going on in her life. Wondering what that fire was I felt when we were young.

My life for the last 8 years had been so dry, bland, and cold. I tried to make my marriage work. I tried to love my husband honestly and faithfully. I had made a commitment and was determined to fulfill this commitment til death do us part. But I was so sad and lonely. And he was not loving me as he should a wife. Not giving me affection, attention, or a sexual relationship. And my husband and I already slept in seperate rooms. Our marriage was one that had long been burnt out. We were just going through the motions of what we should do as a married couple. We had everyone fooled that we were happy, in actuality, we were far from that. I had stayed long enough trying make it work, make everyone else happy. Trying to live up to their expectations. I was ready for a change. Missing my old self, I allowed those passionate feelings to come back in when I heard from Louise. Remembering those looks we gave each other back then, I knew there was something that had happened between us that no one else but us realized. And it was hot!

More to come.....
Thelma

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Thelma for writing about your dad & the man who shot him. That couldn't have been easy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it weren't for pain and tragedy life would be pretty good. May both of yours be all encased in memory from this day forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How traumatic your Father's death must have been for you all. I admire your Mother being able to do what she did but I doubt very much that I could have been so forgiving and it's not something I'm proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, what a horrible thing to happen. How wonderful that your Mom gave him her bible, and that it had that effect on him. He may never see the light of the outside world again, but maybe he'll see a different sort of light, huh? Won't bring your Dad back though, I know. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Speechless.
    You are an awesome writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mother's was a generous, truly Christian spirit. I cannot imagine how heart-wrenching such a tragedy would be.

    And yet the fire of passion is burning brightly!

    ReplyDelete